There is nothing quite like the warmth and smell of something baking in the oven to make your taste buds tingle and your mouth start to water. Of course, this is the perfect time to bake a couple of loaves of hemp banana bread.
Banana bread made with hemp is a little different to the one you are probably used to. This is a relatively new recipe as until recently using hemp seeds and hemp seed oil has not been legal in the U.S.
The good news is that hemp seeds are not only safe, but they are packed with protein and Omega 3 essential fatty acids.
Hemp seeds have a nice nutty flavor that makes them perfect for use in a wide range of baked goods where they are a perfect fit such as cakes, muffins, and of course breads.
This recipe also includes flax meal which is also very high in Omega 3 fatty acids and is an excellent addition to your baked goods along with other flours.
Not sure where to buy hemp seeds? Try your local bulk whole foods or health food stores. While many banana bread recipes come across as “good” for you, they still contain sugar in some form, which of course is not good for you.
The good news is that this recipe is made with honey as a sweetener, which is good for you. If you are vegan, you can easily use rice syrup instead of honey. So on to the recipe:
Hemp Banana Bread Recipe
- Preparation time: 15 mins.
- Baking time: 60 mins.
The Dry Ingredients
- 1/4 C coconut flour
- 1/2 C ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 C almond meal
- 1/2 C hemp seeds (add a little more for the topping, but keep it separate)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp baking powder (use an aluminum-free product)
The Wet Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas – mashed (approx. 1 C)
- 1/2 C non-dairy milk (almond or coconut give you the best flavor)
- 1/2 C honey or rice syrup
- 1/4 C macadamia oil
- Preheat your oven to 350° F (150° C).
- Line bread loaf pans with parchment paper or grease them lightly with a small amount of the macadamia nut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir well to ensure they are well mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and top with the hemp seeds you set aside earlier.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, the middle of the loaf springs back, and it looks golden and ready to eat.
- Remove from the pan and place on a baking rack to cool.
- Eat and enjoy.
You can use this same recipe to make muffins and it won’t take quite as long to bake. Keep a close eye on them as baking time should be around 15 to 20 minutes.
Did you try this or any of our other tasty hemp seed recipes? Let us know in the comments below!